viernes, 21 de diciembre de 2012

Ziggy Marley, a reggae maker

The oldest son of reggae legend Bob Marley and his wife Rita, David Nesta "Ziggy" Marley was the natural heir to the throne left vacant by his father’s’ untimely 1981 death. Along with backing band the Melody Makers, a unit comprised of his brothers and sisters, he successfully carried on the tradition of communicating the music’s message to a growing global audience, even socring a U.S Top 40 single in the process (a claim neither of his parents could make).




         Born in Kingston, Jamaica, on October 17, 1968, he received guitar and drums lessons from his father, and began sitting in on Wailers recording sessions at the age of ten. In 1979, Ziggy, his sister Cedelia, brother Stephen, and half-sister Sharon all joined Bob in the studio to record the single “Children Playing in the Streets”. Christened the Melody Makers, the four siblings, continued playing together at family events, and even performed at their father’s state funeral.


Ziggy Marley – Beach in Hawaii



Lyrics:

On the beach in Hawaii

I wish you were here with me, walking on the beach in Hawaii
playing on the golden sand, looking at the ocean now I understand
love is like the open sea, and I wish you were here with me
on the beach in Hawaii

Since you've been gone away, I think about you everyday
don't you know I miss you much, and you know I need your touch
I'm on a rocky cliff, oh I wish you were here with me
on the beach in Hawaii

A little pakalolo, and I say mahalo
ujjayi breathing, to get a real feeling
yogi gonna let you know
that I wish you were here with me
on the beach in Hawaii
in Hawaii


As we can see, their songs are written in English, but he used some words coming from near languages like Hawaiian, in almost all their lyrics, the meaning of this words used in this song are:
Pakalolo -> marijuana
Mahalo -> thanks
Ujjayi breathing -> a breath technique


Discography:

Conscious Party (1988)
Time Has Come (1988)
Play the Game Right (1989)
One Bright Day (1989)
Jahmekya (1991)
Joy And Blues (1993)
Free Like We Want 2 B (1995)
Fallen Is Babylon (1997)
The Spirit of Music (1999)
Dragonfly (2003)
Love Is My Religion (2007)
In Jamaica (2008)
Family time (2009)
Wild And Free (2011)


Posted by Carlos de la Puerta

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario